We all get insects bites, minor scratches and bruises here and there.
This salve is great for all of those minor ailments, but did you know its great as a nourishing mask for your hair?
Your hair suffers from blow drying, straighteners, curlers, you name it, we used it too.Great tools, but all of them are making our hair dry and damaged.
This simple salve is actually great tonic for hair conditioning, simple to make and smells and feel very natural.
You will need:
Large handful of marigold flowers (Calendula Officinalis)- make sure you get them from a reputable source, only the once with brown centre have healing properties. Anti-inflammatory properties, sooths itchy scalp and helps with dandruff, promotes healthy hair growth as it regenerates hair follicles.
Large handful of chamomile flowers (Chamomilla Recutita)- promotes healthy hair growth, it is anti-inflammatory and helps with itchy scalp and dandruff problems
Medium size jar of coconut oil
Bain Marie-water bath pot (or you can make yours with pot with water and another one to stand in it)
- Fill bottom of Bain Marie with water and fill the top with coconut oil, gently melts over the simmering flame
- Once it is melted, add chamomile and calendula flowers, I use dry, but you can use fresh, just double the amount
- Gently simmer for around ½ hour, making sure the flowers are not burning
- Take it off the hob and let it stand for another 24 hours.
- Next day you may have to re-heat it to melt the oil again and strain through sieve or muslin cloth. Discard the herbs to your compost heap (they will nourish the earth) and pour the strained coconut oil into a jar
- Whenever needed, lather this ointment from mid-section of your hair down to the ends, put a lovely unicorn shower cap on (just joking, but I do admit I have a special unicorn hat for this) and leave it for at least couple of hours, best over night
- Wash out thoroughly next day with natural shampoo and enjoy your reconditioned hair- you will feel the difference!
You could also add rosemary to this ointment, great for hair growth stimulation.
Use the ointment for all your insects bites, it works wonders on mine, especially when bitten by horse fly, which can be very red and itchy for days on end!